TSHEP: An Inside Look | Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation

Education loans given by Bank information

Investment Banking Education / February 21, 2017

A loan servicer is a company that handles the billing and other services on your federal student loan. The loan servicer will work with you on repayment plans and loan consolidation and will assist you with other tasks related to your federal student loan. It is important to maintain contact with your loan servicer. If your circumstances change at any time during your repayment period, your loan servicer will be able to help.

Why pay for help with your federal student loans when your loan servicer will help you for FREE? Contact your servicer to apply for income-driven repayment plans, student loan forgiveness, and more.

Do I select my loan servicer?

No. Your loan is assigned to a loan servicer by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) after your loan amount is first disbursed (paid out). The loan has been disbursed when your school transfers your loan money to your school account, gives money to you directly, or a combination of both. Your loan is usually disbursed in at least two payments, and your loan servicer will contact you after the first payment is made to you.

Whom do I contact to get information about my loan?

If your loan is for the current or upcoming school year, contact your school’s financial aid office directly for information about

  • loan status,
  • loan cancellation within 120 days of disbursement, and
  • loan disbursement amounts and timing.

Only your school's financial aid office can provide this information.

If your loan was disbursed in a past school year and you’re still in school, contact your loan servicer when you

  • change your name, address, or phone number;
  • graduate;
  • drop below half-time enrollment;
  • stop going to school; or
  • transfer to another school.

If you’re no longer in school, contact your loan servicer when you

  • need help making your loan payment;
  • have a question about your bill; or
  • have other questions about your student loan.

Who is my loan servicer?

Visit My Federal Student Aid to view information about all of the federal student loans you have received and to find contact information for the loan servicer or lender for your loans.

The following are loan servicers for federally held loans made through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program and the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program.

Source: studentaid.ed.gov