Investment Banking Edinburgh
Edinburgh is one of the world's top fund management hubs and a major European centre for asset servicing. More than half of the world’s top 20 financial organisations have substantial operations in Scotland, with a critical mass of activity in and around Edinburgh.
A mature supply chain continues to attract new investors to the city. The sector is supported by a vibrant mix of legal services, accounting, human resources, project finance and software development companies.
Banking and Insurance & PensionsWe spoke to Virgin Money's Stephen Pearson to hear about the growth of the bank in Edinburgh.
Employs 21, 000 people
Edinburgh is a major centre for both retail and commercial banking.
- Over 30 banks have operations in the city
- Home to the Bank of Scotland and Scottish Widows Bank (part of the Lloyds Banking Group).
- Other banking operations based in the city include the merchant banks Noble Grossart and ES Noble, the Scottish Building Society and the private banks Adam & Company & Hampden and Co.
Employs around 8, 000 people
Edinburgh has been at the forefront of life insurance since the creation of Scottish Widows in 1815.
- The sector consists of large companies offering a wide range of products to customers around the world to small, independent companies focussed on the local market.
- Three of the UK's leading insurance companies have their headquarters in Edinburgh - Standard Life, Scottish Widows and AEGON UK.
- The Royal London Group, the UK's largest mutual life and pensions company also has significant operations in the city.